Old timey folks like to call canning and preserving the act of “putting up” food. And I’ve been putting up with a lot lately.
Before getting the pressure canner, I mostly stuck with tomatoes and peaches. They’re pretty easy to do and readily available in our area this time of the year.
I recently came into a collection of glass canning jars, which was very exciting. They look really cool, especially with some home-canned produce inside of them.
A few weeks ago, we ended up with a plethora of peppers in our CSA box.
I roasted them with some garlic heads from the garden, and turned them into salsa.
We bought a bushel of peaches at a local market, along with three bushels of tomatoes since my garden has been (til just now) pretty much devoid of any tomato-life to speak of.
The peaches went into several recipes, including plain old peaches in syrup, spiced peaches in a honey syrup, and – my favorite – gingered peach preserves. Good lord, that stuff is like sex in a jar. Good sex in a jar.
We’ve got a nice pantry-ful of yummyness (and a freezer-full, too) that I’ve been putting up all summer and fall. I’ve kept a little list, and realized that there’s quite a lot of food here.
12 quarts strawberries yielded
- 5 half-pints strawberry-rhubarb jam
- 3 half-pints strawberry jam
- 2 half-pints strawberry syrup
- plus several cups of frozen strawberries
Blueberries: 10 1/2 pounds, all frozen
Peaches: 4-quart box yielded 12 cups sliced (frozen with honey syrup)
Corn: 7 ears blanched yielded 1 quart frozen kernels (we have a couple of these)
Tomatoes: 3 bushels yielded
- 24 quarts sauce
- 6 pints tomato halves
- 4 pints and 3 half-pints diced tomatoes
- 5 half-pints catsup
- 4 pints and 1 half-pint sweet salsa
- 5 pints seasoned sauce
- 3 pints and 10 halfpints zesty roasted pepper-garlic salsa (used CSA peppers and some other jalapenos for this recipe)
Peaches: 1 bushel yielded
- 15 pints and 4 quarts peaches in syrup
- 7 half-pints gingered peach preserves
- 7 pints spiced peaches
- 7 pints summer fruit cocktail (also used 1 quart of pears for this recipe)
Pears: 4 quarts yielded
- 6 pint jars of pear quarters in light syrup
Bushel carrots yielded 22 pounds diced blanched carrots (frozen)